Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Our Greatest Hour

Home from Culpeppers and watching the Louisville game.
For one night, every Knight rejoiced as we celebrate our greatest victory. even the most staunch and stalwart naysayer renounce everything they’ve once said and too join in celebration. Tonight is why this Knight writes this blog, why I cheer and try so hard at the games, why I give my all as a fan to this game; for just one night, UCF fans are united.

I have no shame in admitting I was openly emotional as the clock struck zero. With this game, our team exercised a lot of demons nagging around the program: U-Can’t-Finish, UCF can’t win the big one; UCF is only a one half team. We proved all doubters on the outside looking in wrong; but most profound for me is the impact this win made on our own fanbase. The first status I saw on my Facebook newsfeed was from FireCoachOLeary.com, the dedicated, alumni-run, anti-Coach O’Leary page running since as far back as 2005. They’ve embodied the naysaying and pessimistic attitude of a lot of the fan base over the course of Coach O’Leary’s tenure and through the rough times grew into a reservoir for a lot of negativity within our own fanbase. Knowing that, to see that page write “I take it all back George, I take it all back…” was simply overwhelming. Even what I consider the staunchest of skeptics whose faith was weathered by the worst of the rough times were shedding their convictions and jumping on board with the team. When Jeff Godfrey pulled down that final TD reception and Clayton Geathers swatted down the final Hail Mary pass, they did more than make the game winning plays. For one night, the world went as silent as the Papa John’s Cardinal Stadium home crowd and all that could be heard was the jubilation of the UCF faithful, the chants of UCF echoing beyond the field. For one night; not one doubter, qualifier, or second guesser among our fans could be heard over the sounds of our cheers. For one night, we were united; and that’s all I’ve ever wanted to see from UCF Nation; that’s why I write these blogs, that’s why I follow our team so closely, that’s why I put my heart into everything I do as a Knight. Once a Knight, always a Knight ever proud.

Proud doesn’t describe the feeling, ecstacy couldn’t describe the joy. This night, the Knights are on top of the world. Here’s to you, UCF: 

Charge On till the last Knight falls, till there is nothing left in this world but black and gold; Go Knights!

No comments:

Post a Comment